The archaeological sites of particular interest are:
Past the underground constructions in rocks, such as “Sirangio” (commonly known as the “Cave of the Paraskevas”), in Kastella and the “Cave of Aretousa, at the hill of Mounichia (Prophet Elias), shelter of advanced prehistoric inhabitants of Piraeus of Minion, but remain unexploited
Albeit, the first is the most important. Discovered by Cristos Panagos (1897) and Gianni Zanneto (1894). The natural "cavity" of Sirangio already existed but utilized with the execution of certain works by Minions.
Railed the “stoa” (cave) penetrates 12 meters into the rock, below Falirou Avenue (Vas Pavlou). Although there is no relative information about the purpose of its construction, it was likely a sanctuary, dedicated to local hero Sirago.
In ancient times it can be assumed that was used as “Asklipieio” and as “Porfyreio”, for processing the abundant red-colour shells of the Piraiki coast. Later, during the Roman times in Sirangio the “Valaneio” (public bath) was established there and two mosaics were built, in a strange way, it vanished during the period of dictatorship (1967 - 1974).
So we can safely assume the “Cave of Aretousa” is a natural cavity used for the water supply of the inhabitants of the hill. The entrance is on the west side of Mounichia Hill, at the corners of Riga Ferraiou and Tsamadou streets, fenced for a long period of time for safety reasons.
According to expert opinions, and resulting from the excavation findings, this “cave” stoa is an artificial cave with 165 degrees, carved in the rock – a project done for water supply purposes.
The Ancient Theatre of Zea built during Macedonian time (late 4th or early 3rd century BC) located next to the Archaeological Museum, between the roads of Ch. Trikoupi and Filellinon (the old theatre Mounichia that unfortunately no remnants survive today).
The ruins of the ancient city’s buildings, located at the basement of the Cathedral of Holy Trinity.
Ruins of the main gate of the ancient wall of Piraeus in the district “Gouva of Vavoula”, with plans for the creation of an archaeological park – and remnants of buildings of the Roman times, discovered in the block between the streets Polytexneiou - Skouze - Leosthenous - Filellinon.
The ruins of ancient Piraeus Wall – incorrectly related with the Long Walls – preserved in the Piraeus peninsula and along the Piraeus coast, especially in Ietioneia outskirts.
For the protection, management, promotion of the remnants of the ancient wall efforts are made by the Ministry of Culture and the City of Piraeus, and from the Administration of PPA. Additionally the Ministry of Culture has taken responsibility for the rescue and promotion of the archaeological site of Kinosouras (Salamina).
Unfortunately, few remnants of the ship sheds (neosikon) have survived. The neosika were seaside sheds, where ships anchored, during the peak of the Piraeus port (5th century BC) the total number of neosikon reached 372. 196 were in Zea (Pasalimani), 82 in Mounichia (Mikrolimano) and 94 in the military naval base of Kantharou, in the central port.
There are grave columns and other burial findings, near the Piraeus peninsula including, the area that is believed that Themistocles was buried.
In 1988, accidentally, during test excavations, at the end of the road “2nd Division Merarxias)” (Pasalimani) for the construction of underground parking lot, from YPEXODE, unearthed a very important archaeological discovery: the foundation of the famous “Arsenal (Skeuothikis)” of Philonos.
As it is known the “Arsenal”, the work of the architect Philonos, built between 346 to 328 BC, according to an inscribed plaque entitled “specification” of the project, that found the last century at the corner of the streets Sotiris Dios and Voulgari - and published in 1882 by Alexander Meletopoulos – has a length of 123 meters, width of 17 meters, height of 30 meters and 36 windows that could store military equipment for 150 or, according to others, 400 ships.
It was located to the ancient port of Zea and according to recent “prediction” at Sotiros Street, behind Kanari square, a distance of approximately 200 meters from the latest findings.
Unfortunately, for purely practical reasons, the creation of an archaeological site at the location of the remnants of the “Arsenal” was impossible - and after imprinting by the Archaeological Service, the section of the road 2nd Merarxia Division was restored in its previous form. Few of the ruins of 'Arsenal' preserved in an underground building, at Ypsilanti Street.